Musings on writing, lessons learned by an aspiring professional, book reviews, movie reviews, an occasional t.v. show review, and unashamed opinion.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

GUTGAA Meet and Greet


I was told by a friend about the Gearing Up to Get an Agent Blogfest that is about to begin, and decided to join in on the fun.  Here's a little introduction to me for those of you new here:

-Where do you write?
A: Typically, on the couch or on my "soft chair", which is the most comfortable piece of furniture in my house.  My Beagle chewed it up, my wife wants me to get rid of it, but I keep it because it's awesome.  

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?
A: The window that looks out into the shared area of my neighborhood. (No front yard for me.)

-Favorite time to write?
A: I discovered a couple of years ago that early morning works best for me.  I crawl out of bed at 5:00.  I can't say it's my favorite, because I've never been a morning person, but I get the majority of my words written before my wife and daughter wake up.  I even tried really early (4:30) for an extra half hour, but I soon found out that no one in their right mind gets up before the buttcrack of dawn.  

-Drink of choice while writing?
A: I don't drink anything most of the time.  This morning, however, I did have a glass of apple juice to sip at.  I really like apple juice.  

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?
A: I go through spurts.  If music is on, it's instrumental movie soundtracks.  My favorite soundtracks include: The Last Samurai, Appaloosa, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, any of the Lord of the Rings, Last of the Mohicans, and Braveheart.  Big, epic scores.  

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?
A: My lastest inspiration came from a bigger-than-life historical figure, a somewhat lacking niche genre (YA Space Opera) and a little video game on the Xbox Live arcade.  You'll have to wait for the book to be published to see to see how they all mash up.  :) 

-What's your most valuable writing tip?
A: Write, write, write.  Perseverance is everything.  

There you have it.  Welcome.  I'm eager to meet new pals.     

6 comments:

  1. Greetings!

    I'm hopping over from GUTGAA and checking out blogs. Nice to meet you...you have a lovely blog! Good luck with the contest...

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sources of your inspiration. I'm curious how you've blended them together. Good luck with GUTGAA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to be so late on the GUTGAA meet and greet. As always, life exploded into chaos when I thought things would calm down. Well, can't be helped. Here I am.
    Sound advice for aspiring authors. We can only get better if we write. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You know you're going to have to work your comfy chair into your writing somehow. I loved the Dad's chair on Frasier. They even made an episode about it: Frasier and Niles toss it out the window and destroy it, but then feel bad about it. So they track down another chair just like it and replicate their Dad's chewed up one. Comedy ensues...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you through GUTGAA! I have just started reading some Space Opera. N opinions yet.
    Best wishes this month:)
    Talynn #28

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. More power to you. I think if I tried to get up and write anything at five in the morning, my brain would revolt and just fall out of my head.

    On the other hand, I can often be found writing in the middle of the night-say around 3am. haha. I guess we all need to find our quiet time.

    Just stopping by from GUTGAA . I've been so inspired by all the awesome blogs on here I finally decided to start my own. I'd love it if you'd stop by. :) It's www.onemagicbeanbuyer.blogspot.com

    Hope you do well in GUTGAA! Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete